Breast implants are one of the most popular types of plastic surgery prostheses. These are permanent solutions to achieve bigger and fuller breasts to enhance your overall appearance.
The breast implant surgeon in Richmond, VA, is a board-certified specialist who can fix your cosmetic flaws for physical as well as emotional well-being.
What are breast implants?
Breast implants are artificial prostheses that are surgically inserted into your breasts. These are silicone shells filled with either silicone gel or saline (sterile salt water).
Plastic surgeons are specialized doctors who perform breast implants. They can be done for reconstructive purposes, such as after a mastectomy for breast cancer or for cosmetic reasons.
Why do you need breast implants?
You may want to get breast implants for several reasons, including:
- Restoring a previous breast size that may have altered due to pregnancy, weight loss, or aging.
- Correcting asymmetrical breasts, especially if you have gone through damage to the tissue in one of your breasts before you go through puberty
- Restoring breasts after a mastectomy (breast removal) due to cancer
- Affirming your gender
- Improving self-esteem and body image
What are the types of breast implants?
The most popular choice of breast implants are of two types:
- These castings are made up of silicone that holds a sterile saltwater solution.
- Imitates the feeling of natural breasts.
- These implants are inserted through keyhole-sized incisions; thus, there is minimal scarring.
- It is a safe breast implant since the solution is readily absorbed and expelled by the body.
- These use the same outer casting but are filled with cohesive silicone gel
- It more accurately mimics natural breasts when compared to saline implants
- These maintain the results and prevent the breast from reshaping
What happens during a breast implant procedure?
The breast implant procedure is performed under general anesthesia so that you are asleep during the procedure.
Once you are sedated an incision is made in one of the following areas:
Your breast implants are then carefully inserted through the incision and placed either under your breast tissue and chest muscles or between your chest muscles and breast tissue.
What are the benefits of breast implants?
There are several advantages of breast implants, such as:
- They are durable and can last up to 10 years
- The surgery is relatively safe with a lower risk of complications
- Small incisions are required; thus, there is minimal bleeding and scarring
- They offer quick recovery
- Boost your confidence
Getting breast implants is a personal choice. Pursuing your desires and needs for your body can be very empowering.